Caldo Verde A classic Portuguese soup or stew recipe of my design, adapted so it’s lenten. This one isn’t easily adapted for a low carb diet, but you might try using cauliflower instead of the potatoes (but you’ll need to adjust the cauliflower cooking time so it doesn’t turn to mush).
- 1 pkg frozen or 1 1/2 lbs fresh kale or collards
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 medium to large potatoes, peeled
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 oz dried mushrooms
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 can canneloni or northern white beans
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 tsp mixed herbs, Italian or other mix (Penzey’s in Naperville has a nice assortment)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot pepper powder or flakes
- 1/2 to 1 tsp hungarian paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh or dried parsley
- Pam vegetable spray
Reconstitute dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes; chop. Prepare kale by rinsing thoroughly and slicing leafy portions into fine shreds so they will cook well. Discard stems. Spray bottom of soup pot with Pam and saute mushrooms with onion. Add garlic last, and do not allow to brown. Add broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes, kale, bay leaf, herbs, hot pepper, and paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 30 more minutes. Add beans and parsley and warm through. Mash some of the potato against side of pot or run through food processor to thicken soup. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Serves 8 to 12.